the blue moonlight makes this a beautiful night

Friday, 25 March 2016


It's Easter! How pleasant. The sun is shining, it's a bank holiday, I've just made a huge mug of hot lemon and ginger, and I have time to relax a little. Perfect.
I've been feeling a little overstretched with schoolwork, trying to fit it in along with keeping this blog up to date, personal projects and the like, but these two weeks will be perfect to sort my head out and reorganise before exams begin. Also, I really need to finish a few projects such as Bloom, get my Etsy back up and running, and start a new little creative venture I'm planning, so watch this space! I'm hoping to make this holiday super productive.
Anyway, today was my first day off, so after a (compulsory) lie-in I went out to run a few errands. I decided to wear the vintage kimono I bought at the vintage flea market last weekend, as I am totally in love with it and couldn't bear to look at it hanging in my room any longer without it being on my person. I adore just how big it is - I love patterns, and so to be entirely engulfed in patterned fabric is pretty much my version of heaven.






 The kimono is vintage, the leopard top from Beyond Retro, bralet from Monki, culottes from Topshop, shoes from Underground and sunglasses from a vintage shop on Portobello Road.
I fell in love with the kimono the moment I saw it - hidden at the back of a stall on a mannequin, I was fascinated by its beautiful pattern and the prospect of owning such an amazingly structured piece.






 Kimonos would traditionally have been taken apart for washing and re-sewn for wear, meaning authentic ones tend to be hand made. It's amazing how much time and thought can go into an item of clothing, and how much significance it can have - it serves as an example of real fashion and artistry, and contrasts greatly to the mass-produced generic items that are churned out nowadays.







 On the subject of time (sort of), I wanted to look back through some of the designers and work I saw whilst at London Fashion Week (specifically the International Fashion Showcase, that I wasn't able to write about in depth at the time). The theme was "Fashion Utopias," and saw designers worldwide responding to the concept of Utopia in their own distinct way, as well as showcasing emerging talent from across the globe.
Ukraine's new wave of young fashion design talent was clearly portrayed in the exhibition, with designs from the likes of Masha Reva (a Central Saint Martins graduate), Yana Chervinska and Lara Quint putting together a zine as well as presenting their work. The zine, and all of it's contents, was created, designed and printed in 4 hours in Kyiv, Ukraine. It was amazing to see just how much they had managed to do and how creative they had been in such a short time period. Masha Reva's work stuck out to me as I remember falling in love with a long white tailored jacket, covered in her beautiful illustrations.


(all photos from Masha Reva)

Another designer that caught my eye was GY Kimchoe, a London-based label established by Gyo Kim and Yuni Choe, graduates from Central Saint Martins and Ravensbourne respectively. The pair stick to a multi-cultural, gender fluid aesthetic, and making sure their work pays off morally by taking a sustainable issue to base the designs on, to which they donate money at the end of the season. As they state on their webpage, "positive impact is at the heart of the brand," and this could not be more true for this season; an eclectic mix of prints and structure inspired by thoughts of animal cruelty. By creating fashion that brings these issues to mind, GY Kimchoe manage to turn the spotlight onto the fashion industry and raise questions about the sustainability and 'cruelty-free' aspect of clothing, as well as produce a fantastic collection of clothes with heartfelt meaning.








 (all photos from Noctis Magazine, and GY Kimchoe's webpage)

In other news, as I am off school for these two weeks I should have more time to carry on looking back at LFW designers I hadn't been able to write about before, as well as post more of my own outfits and photographs as well. I hope you are all having a lovely Easter break!


18 comments:

  1. Such an amazing outfit!

    xx
    Xin

    http://xincerely.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome look!

    www.bstylevoyage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing!! I love a good print clash x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm obsessed with your style <3 lovely post x

    www.monochromeroses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading your blog for years and I love how you clash patterns in your outfits! Your posts are always so enjoyable to read x

    bisoushollyolivia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Queeeeen of layering- love this outfit Ellie, hope you're having an excellent weekend and productive day. Also thanks for sharing GY Kimchoe, a designer who I hadn't heard of but definitely need to check out! :)

    http://secret-hipster.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh angel thank you!!! <3 yes I hadn't heard of them before either, so I was over the moon when I saw that their work was so good!! xx

      Delete
  7. I don't tell you how much I love your blog enough, your style is always so unique and vibrant and I just adore it ah <3 gorgeous as usual Ellie! Xx
    www.britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much you are the sweetest!! xx

      Delete
  8. I love your outfit, Ellie, you really know how to mix patterns.
    And that kimono is soo amazing. I went to a fleamarket yesterday and
    read that post before and I found a long coat (that is not nearly as amazing as yours), but I instantly thought about your outfit here and I knew I had to get it. Your style is so unique and inspiring.
    Laura
    la-ailurophile.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! <3 ahh thats so lovely I'm sure it's beautiful, I'm so touched you thought of me! <3 xxxx

      Delete
  9. stunning bag! love this whole look!

    Ruby x

    http://rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. THIS IS MY FAVOURITE OUTFIT OF YOURS EVER. Can we talk about how much you rock the whole underwear as outerwear thing???? and that kimono with your beautiful hair???? You look fantastic and as gorgeous as ever. I love GY Kimchoe, always bringing the most fabulous silhouettes and beautiful styling! Hope you're having a lovely week Ellie :)

    Bethany x

    bethanygraceo.blogspot.dk

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou so much for your comment! I read each and every one and will try to answer any questions or queries as quick as I can ♡♡♡